Bit of a redo on Rev. On him himself, I merely altered his hair color and the design on his gloves. But his gear (and his ally) have received some major changes themselves.
First, that key-like weapon. The Silver Key
, most notably discovered by his ancestor Kunjee Sapanapravesh
, is more than just a sci-fi-looking blade (those teeth along the side are a psionic construct). It can also open "doors" - that is, spatial portals
. Its psionic shots can turn into portals, which Rev can use to warp other shots, transport himself or other things/people, and more. He can even open a portal into one's mind - who knows what he can do from there.
(And no, it's not meant to be a true Keyblade. Stop it. You don't call Paracelsus from Guilty Gear a Keyblade, do you?)
Next, the Elder Sominid
(long-lived being from Earth's dream realm of Somin, born of sapient emotions) that he's Envoy to: Banegiah
, the Sominid of knowledge. Since the true Banegiah serves as an "operating system" of sorts for a sci-fi-styled database room known as Necronomicon
, he exists in Earth's other realms as "nodes". What Rev has here is Banegiah's Midrealm node
- that robot cat atop his head. Don't be fooled by the cute appearance, though. Banegiah is still a valued second set of eyes for Rev, as well as a logical counterbalance to Rev's more reckless moments. They share information and thoughts through a telepathic link
, even at a distance.
In a pinch, Banegiah can apply a technique called Taboo Install
, which cycles forbidden wisdom through Rev's mind for a limited time - this can rapidly increase his reaction time, awareness to surroundings, and knowledge of enemy weak points. If this were used on a weak-willed person with a constrained mind, it would put a huge strain on their being. This is why Rev has honed his mind, naturally expanding it just in case a situation arises that Taboo Install MUST be used.
...This leads up to that pink smartphone - Necronomicon Mini
. Yeah, it takes the form of a girly phone. But Banegiah can use the pictures
it saves to quickly analyze everything within it. Necronomicon itself is a surprisingly busy server, so even this can't provide information immediately.
On that note, Necronomicon can be dangerous if someone doesn't control themself while browsing its vast database on...well, everything in Earth's history. Some few visitors to Necronomicon's holding place have gotten so addicted to the knowledge they were gaining, even from looking at one or two articles, and ended up locking themselves in Necronomicon's chamber and browsing, browsing, browsing more and more, forgetting how to eat or sleep or breathe...you get the idea. They die from being addicted to its secret knowledge
- Randolph Carter (H.P. Lovecraft)
- Through the Gates of the Silver Key (H.P. Lovecraft)
- Yog-Sothoth (H.P. Lovecraft)
- Rohan Kishibe & Heaven's Door (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable)
- Keyblades (Kingdom Hearts)
- J.A.R.V.I.S./Vision (Marvel)
- Sombra (Overwatch)
- Futaba Sakura & Necronomicon (Persona 5)
- Captain Kirk & Mr. Spock (Star Trek)
- Kevin Flynn (TRON)
- The basic keywords for the UMS Yog-Sothoth's design were "orbs
" and "machine
". Since I was starting to give Rev an animal motif of cats - which are prominent in Lovecraft lore - I decided for the Midrealm node to take on a cat-like form as well. Ah, technology and cats...
- It seems that the majority of Elder Sominids may have some sci-fi look to them, whether appearing as an alien or a robot or whatever. Then again, the majority of their original counterparts in Mythosian lore are alien to Earth - hell, H.P. Lovecraft's works are likely what pioneered the science fiction genre
- The Silver Key's psionic blade is based on a pin tumbler lock key
. I knew some people would start shouting "Keyblade!" when they first see this, so instead of the usual lever lock style, I chose a key type that wasn't used much for Keyblade models (I think only Fenrir in KH2 used the pin tumbler format).
- Actually, the whole idea to make Banegiah (the expy of Yog-Sothoth) like a computer system came from Persona 5's version of Necronomicon
- a UFO, with information and the like projected like holograms for Futaba Sakura's use. That was really my favorite version of the grimoire, so for my version, I wanted to keep that sci-fi feel to it.
- Most tellings of Necronomicon are that reading it can make one go mad. How do I simulate that for my version? Well, you ever hear of people spending wayyyyy too much time on sites loaded with information, like TVTropes? Imagine that, but to an extreme where you completely forget all your vital needs and end up dying while learning.
- The "class" that I ended up styling Rev around is "Scholar
" - someone who gathers information on enemies to sabotage them.
is is based on Yog-Sothoth
. His name comes from three words - "ban" (Irish for "white"), ego (the mediator between id and reality, according to Sigmund Freud's structural model of the psyche), and "Iah" (an Egyptian lunar god).
-= DISCLAIMER =-
- Rev, Banegiah (c) me