A new Smash Direct is coming this December, and will likely be the day we get Cloud, along with other content.
So, I'm going to take another jab at guessing what kind of characters we'll see in DLC. In no particular order. BUT! For this, I'll be splitting the list - 6 first/second-party characters, and 6 third-party characters. I'm not saying all of them have to be in, just guesses on who we might possibly see.
I'll only lay down these rules:
- No characters that are already Mii costumes (pros: no K. Rool; cons: no Inklings...)
- For third-party characters, only one per company in the list (so only one Capcom character will be listed) and no one from existing third-party groups (so NO ADDITIONAL SONIC CHARACTERS)
So! Let's begin.
-=-= FROM NINTENDO =-=-
-= Wolf =-
- Okay, the reason I expanded this list to 12 is to include veteran fighters. And of the veteran fighters remaining, Wolf seems the most likely to return (because we have a young Link already, barely anyone liked Pichu, and what Final Smashes would you even give Squirtle or Ivysaur?). I don't expect his moveset to change very much, not even the Final Smash, but I'm pretty content with his normals alone, so whatever.
-= Paper Mario =-
- This feels like one of those characters that ought to have been in already. I mean, we got Paper Mario the stage, but not Paper Mario the character? Anyway, given his dimensions, it's unlikely he'll be another Mario clone. In fact, this one might use his hammer more often. As for special gameplay mechanic...perhaps something to do with stickers or badges? Or maybe "paperizing" opponents to make them lighter and easier to mess with for a while?
- Side Smash: Spin Smash/Super Hammer
- Up Smash: Tornado Jump
- Down Smash: Quake Hammer
- Neutral Special: Hammer Throw/Hurlhammer
- Side Special: Paper Plane
- Up Special: Spring Jump
- Down Special: Paperize/Sticker Album
- Final Smash: Star Beam
-= Serperior =-
- That's right, I'm not letting this go. Yet. It's not too late to get Gen-5 in, we need to complete the starter circle, Serperior has better uniqueness potential than the other Grass-type starters (looking at YOU, Sceptile), et cetera et cetera. And who better than a vine-slinging python to be a specialized grappler?
- Smash attacks: Frenzy Plant
- Pummel: Mega Drain
- Neutral Special: Leaf Tornado
- Side Special: Vine Whip
- Up Special: Coil
- Down Special: Leech Seed
- Final Smash: Leaf Storm
-= Ninten =-
- Again, feels like this one should've been in already. The Magicant from Mother? Devil Car, an enemy from Mother? Starmen using PSI that only appears in Mother? Ding ding ding ding ding. As for how to make Ninten different from Ness and Lucas...maybe he can use singing as an eventual power-up (kind of like how Father Pucchi recites the 14 words in JoJo All-Star Battle, only not a permanent boost). It would work in the theme of Mother, as well as have Ninten start off weaker than the norm (since he's asthmatic).
- Neutral Special: PK Beam (he was originally going to use this PSI in the game's alpha)
- Side Special: PK Paralysis/Brainshock
- Up Special: Teleport
- Down Special: Sing
-= Hades =-
- If Smash is gonna get a new villain, how about one that actually has class and better uniqueness potential? I'm sure Hades could come up with a power/keepaway moveset that trolls on Duck Hunt levels, as well as pointing out that he's from a shooter game. Maybe temporary shooting turrets or whatnot.
- Final Smash: Hades' Belly
-= Wonder-Red =-
- At the very least, Red has a foot in with his trophy. But what could set him apart from other punchers? Well, he could call in one of his allies for an assist attack, and maybe power up his Unite Hand moves with Unite Charge, boosting their size and strength for a while. Even if said ally-summon move only consists of a few (Blue, Green, and Pink come to mind)...
- Side Smash: Wonderful Stinger
- Up Smash: Wonderful Rising
- Down Smash: Wonderful Cyclone
- Neutral Special: Wonder-Punch (can throw a fireball when charged)
- Side Special: Team Attack (summon Blue, Green, or Pink to attack)
- Up Special: Unite Rocket
- Down Special: Unite Charge
- Final Smash: Wonderful Forever (cinematic, like Mega Legends or Chain Attack)
-=-= THIRD-PARTY =-=-
-= Snake =-
- Again, list was expanded to include Wolf and Snake, the last two likely returning characters. Considering we got Ryu (whose next game is PS4-exclusive) and Cloud (mostly known for Sony titles), Snake really isn't an impossibility. And being a vet helps, too. Let's just hope that Konami's current crisis doesn't hinder those odds...
-= Phoenix Wright =-
- Since this list here can only have one Capcom character, I guess Mr. Wright will have to do. After all, he's got a big history on Nintendo handhelds. Now, a lawyer may seem like an odd choice for a fighter, but Smash already brings folks like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt to the levels of a goddess. Besides, he HAS joined another fighting game (Ultimate Marvel 3) with similar circumstances. Like in that game, Phoenix might be able to collect evidence to use against opponents. How? Who knows. Evidence might be holdable items, like Peach's vegetables.
- Neutral Special: Objection!
- Side Special: Take That! (only works if you have evidence; attack changes depending on evidence held)
- Up Special: Nick's Shoryuken
- Down Special: Find Evidence
- Final Smash: Ace Attorney (cinematic)
-= Neku Sakuraba =-
- I would say Sora, but...to get him, Sakurai would have to overcome the obstacle that is Disney, so...Neku would probably be easier to get. Anyway, Neku's got a ton of psychs to form a whole moveset from. But what about the most important aspect of the game? "Trust your partner"? Hey, they could work in...say...Joshua. He could act with Neku in a style similar to Stands in JoJo All-Star Battle - calling him in will add to Neku's offense, but will put his defense at risk, since Neku and Joshua share the same damage level/HP and will be separate targets (so one attack hitting both will effectively deal twice the damage). Maybe Joshua's presence will allow followups to most normal attacks, or charge smash attacks faster? There's lots of ways this can be different from Rosalina & Luma.
- Neutral Attack: Shockwave + Stellar Flurry
- Side Attack: Lightning Arrester
- Up Attack: Vulcan Uppercut
- Down Attack: Piercing Pillar (3-chain)
- Dash Attack: Lance Lunge
- Side Smash: Massive Hit
- Up Smash: Twister
- Down Smash: Street Jam
- Neutral Air: Vortex Saber
- Front Air: Flame Core
- Back Air: Splash Core
- Up Air: Shock Core
- Down Air: Thunderbolt
- Neutral Special: Pyrokinesis
- Side Special: Aqua Barrier (momentary shield, but refills HP with each hit blocked)
- Up Special: Velocity Attack
- Down Special: Trust Your Partner (summon or dismiss Joshua)
- Final Smash: Four-Star Fusion (cinematic, with Shiki and Beat joining)
-= Shantae =-
- Okay, you all expected some indie character to be on this list, right? Well, I couldn't do Shovel Knight, since Yacht Club Games themselves deconfirmed him, so Shantae will have to do. Of many indie characters, she's got a long history with Nintendo, going as far back as the Game Boy. As for gameplay mechanic, perhaps she can do bellydance combinations to further flesh out her moveset?
-= Professor Layton =-
- Among the DS's puzzle games, the Layton series has had some of the most popular. So, what's to say the good professor can't get his trenchcoat sleeves dirty with some good old smashing? Educated fellow he is, I bet he can use some sort of learning mechanic - study the opponent's actions and prepare himself to counter them, or something. Wouldn't be the first time - in JoJo Heritage to the Future, the three Anubis users (Chaka, Khan, and Black Polnareff) could memorize certain blocked attacks and auto-dodge them the next time around.
-= Bayonetta =-
- Yeah, you all knew this would be here. If Wonder-Red can't make it in, at least bring in Bayonetta? I'm sure something can be worked out about her use of guns. I mean, Duck Hunt technically gets guns, right? How much worse could magic bullets be? Heck, she could extend some normal attacks by holding the button and adding shots. As for the main deal, perhaps she could use Witch Time in some way. Dodge and make nearby attackers slower?
- Smash attacks: Wicked Weave
- Neutral Special: Witch Time
- Side Special: Panther Within
- Up Special: Wings of Malphas
- Down Special: ???
- Final Smash: Umbran Climax (yeah, Great Aether clone, but with Madama Butterfly rapid-punching foes before smashing them down; Bayonetta herself might not have to jump up to the struck foes, though)
...So! That's my two lists. I'm hoping some of these make it in. Of the third-party list, I can only expect Snake and/or one other, of course. But as usual, only time will tell.
-= NINTENDO =-
Paper Mario (Stickers/Paperizing)
Wonder-Red (Unite Charge)
-= THIRD-PARTY =-
Phoenix Wright (evidence)
Neku Sakuraba (Joshua)
Professor Layton (learning from moves)
Bayonetta (Witch Time)
Listening to: Fly Me To The Moon (Climax Mix)